Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Pretty picture: Oncostele Midnight Miracles

This was my favorite plant from the whole 2016 show.


I don't usually like the Oncidium-adjacent orchids very much, but this one had a weird depth to the color that I liked. The depth was only sort of capturable in photos. This was as close as I got:


I think what does it for me is the subtle banding across the petals.

I found a Midnight Miracles photo on Flickr; that specimen is darker, lacks the bicolored lip, and although it's difficult to tell the size of the bloom without any context, it looks to me like the flower is smaller overall.


Oncostele Midnight Miracles = Rhynchostele bictoniensis x Oncidium cariniferum (Ref.)

Haven't seen Midnight Miracles in previous years' shows; the most similar previous plant is probably Miltassia Charles M. Fitch x Odontocidium Black Beauty, from the 2012 show.


3 comments:

Ivynettle said...

Nothing to do with the post, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about the outcome of your election, and I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

mr_subjunctive said...

Ivynettle:

Thank you. I won't lie, it's been a rough day.

Pattock said...

Anything could happen in two months. Still time for miracles. My sincerest commiserations that it looks like so many in the US will have a fight just to survive the next four years. Who knows what the effect will be on the rest of the world. Good luck and best wishes.

"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Mafia." Kurt Vonnegut